What is a Type S license?

One of the first steps to get started in the cannabis industry is to complete your licensing. Without licensing, it is impossible to legally make money in the cannabis field, so it is essential to start your licensing process right away. The Type-S license could be what you are looking for. Though you should check your state and local legislation for more specific licensing requirements, below are some commonly asked questions about the Type S license that can help you navigate cannabis licensing.
What is a Type S License?
A Type S License must be obtained in order for a business to work in a shared cannabis manufacturing facility. (Like us!) This is specifically for entrepreneurs who want to utilize a shared cannabis space, and not for the owner of the facility (which has different licensing requirements).
Why was the Type S License created?
The Type S license acts as a win-win situation for both the owner of the shared space and the business owner who needs the shared space to create their products. For the owner of the space, the Type S license allows for a significant increase in revenue, as they can now rent out their space and provide equipment for a price. The type S licensee is allowed to use the shared facility without having to incur significant renter improvement costs.
What can I do with a Type S License?
Besides being able to legally use a shared cannabis kitchen, those with a Type S license can practice the following: 1) infusions, 2) packaging and labeling their products, and 3) extractions with butter or food grade oils. Please note that the extracted oils can only be used in the Type S-licensed business’ product, and the business cannot sell these extracted oils to other third parties. These practices can also only be performed in a shared cannabis kitchen once the Type S license is obtained.
How do I apply for a Type S License?
Licensing authorities and license prices depend on each state. For California specifically, there are three licensing authorities:
1. The Bureau of Cannabis Control, which regulates commercial cannabis licenses for medical and recreational use.
2. CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing, a division of the California Department of Food and Agriculture which helps give licensing to cultivators.
3. Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch, a department in the California Department of Public Health that works to license and regulate cannabis in all of California.
In order to apply for any manufacturing license you must apply online through the California Department of Public health’s Manufactured Cannabis Licensing System, also known as MCLS.
Still Confused? Don’t worry, My Green Network has the solution!
My Green Network is the first cannabis shared manufacturing facility with a Type S license, and that allows us to rent out fully equipped commercial kitchens and hybrid stations for you to produce any infused cannabis product.
Check out our Green Quest 2020, a  grant program designed to give an up-and-coming business leader in the cannabis industry a Type S license paid for by My Green Network.

Green Quest 2020

A chance for minority cannabis entrepreneurs to get a Cannabis Type-S license for free.

Are you 21+?

You must be 21 years of age to view this site content